Visit L&I’s Scheduling System Roll-Out Webpage
WHY DID L&I CHANGE THE WAY INTERPRETER SERVICES ARE SCHEDULED?
In 2018, the Washington State Legislature passed Senate Bill 6245 to improve state programs for interpreter services and grant freelance interpreters the right to unionize. Read more about the bill here.
HOW MUCH ARE INTERPRETERS PAID WITH THE NEW SCHEDULING SYSTEM?
Whether appointments are distributed through the scheduling system or not, interpreters will receive the same compensation in accordance with L&I’s payment policy.
READ THESE EMAILS FROM L&I:
- 2019-03-21 L&I announces its decision to distribute interpreting appointments through an online scheduling system.
- 2019-04-05 L&I hosts meetings with interpreters to gather feedback about online scheduling.
- 2019-05-29 L&I launches a survey about a future scheduling system.
- 2019-06-21 L&I confirms the existence of a dual system (online scheduling + direct billing) in accordance with Senate Bill 6245.
- 2019-07-24 L&I issues a Request For Proposal (RFP) to find a company for an online scheduling system.
- 2020-03-23 My Language Link from Connecticut is announced as the apparent successful bidder. Its scheduling software system is called InterpretingWorks. Read the contract here. Don't confuse it with CTS Language Link, a company headquartered in Vancouver, WA, which is one of the two remote interpreting vendors (Lionbridge is the other one) for L&I under the DES contract #02819.
- 2020-03-26 HCA agrees to pay in-person rates for remote interpreting during pandemic.
- 2020-04-03 L&I announces its interpreter payment policies during the pandemic. Read the temporary COVID remote interpreting policy here.
- 2020-04-03 PNW Language Services protests L&I’s decision to award the contract to My Language Link.
- 2020-06-11 L&I dismisses PNW Language Services’ protest. 1Lingua did not bid for the L&I contract.
- 2020-06-11 House Bill 2691 becomes effective. By December 1, 2020, L&I must report to the legislature on its process to procure interpreter services.
- 2020-06-23 L&I extends pandemic interpreter payment policies until June 30, 2021.
- 2020-07-22 L&I announces the implementation of the scheduling software system InterpretingWorks.
- 2020-07-22 L&I releases FAQs about InterpretingWorks.
- 2020-09-01 L&I announces changes to its interpreter payment policy.
- 2020-09-03 L&I hosts webinars for interpreters and providers to familiarize them with InterpretingWorks.
- 2020-10-15 L&I announces that it will discontinue using Lionbridge as its remote interpreting vendor.
- 2020-10-30 L&I finalizing implementation of new scheduling system.
- 2020-11-19 L&I unveils new ISAR (Interpreters Services Appointment Record).
A UNION FOR L&I INTERPRETERS
Interpreters United/AFSCME Council 28 (WFSE) would like to become the official union of freelance interpreters paid by L&I. In order to become the legal representative of L&I interpreters, we need to ask the State to hold an election. Please sign our card asking PERC (Public Employment Relations Commission) for a union election.
Page Last Updated: Oct 27, 2020 (19:40:00)